Monday, August 24, 2009

Court trials



I shed some of my sports-shooting rust on Saturday during an invitational volleyball tournament. I've got a long way to go before I'm back in the swing of things. Seems like my days many years of ago shooting film were actually easier, but that just might be the cloud of time fogging my memory. Volleyball is incredibly difficult to photograph anyhow (at least for me). I learned a lot from Saturday's trials on the court:

• Zoom in to isolate players. You can tell I did that on the first shot but not the second. That second image is way too cluttered!
• Find different angles. I was somewhat limited because there were five games going on next to each other. I stuck to the very ends, and it shows in my photos. Should be easier when it comes time to photograph a single game without all the distractions and balls whizzing past my head.
• Machine-gun it. I'm not used to that at all, preferring to take maybe a few shots in quick succession during a portrait session to catch expressions. But with sports a quick burst could yield the money shot that taking your time makes you miss.
• Study others' sports photographs for ideas and to see what is pleasing about theirs.
• Read, practice, lather, rinse and repeat! Practice is usually the best medicine.

No comments: