Monday, August 3, 2009

Back from a sweet vacation




Two years ago, my family and I had the most relaxing vacation to date at Crystal Beach, Texas, east of Galveston on the Bolivar Peninsula. It's true that you can't go "home" again, though. In September 2008, Hurricane Ike ravaged the peninsula, destroying most of the houses and businesses there. While efforts to rebuild to continue, we knew that a trip to the beach would have to be elsewhere.

Doing a little research, we found a cute little beach house to rent for the seek in Surfside, which is about 40 miles west of Galveston. We found the same laid-back vibe that permeated Crystal Beach, yet there was less hurricane damage there (although evidence of storm damage wasn't hard to spot).

The above shots are just three images from the trip. I focused more on fun than documenting the location, so that when we return in the future I'll be excited to take my camera out to places I missed this time. The first photo is of a boat that had seen better days. The second is of my youngest son chilling on the deck of the beach house. The third is my two boys during what was supposed to be an evening walk on the beach, but quickly turned into a full-body romp into the waves.

Every vacation has made us question our lives a bit, but this time it hit hard. We are drawn to the water like hungry pelicans. Is Surfside where we belong? Probably not, but we have a goal to be living La Vida Lakeside as soon as possible, with many trips to the beach in our future.

No comments: