Thursday, November 19, 2009

Photography as a diversion


I feel fortunate to be working as a part-time contractor. Sure, I miss full-time pay. The flexibility, however, is awesome. Whenever I need a break, I might take a walk outside. These first two photos were taken from the office where I work a couple of days a week. I noticed the gentleman fishing and loved his classic-looking outfit and the reflections. This was taken a little after lunchtime one day.


I stepped onto the back patio as the sun was setting (and I was about to begin my night duties at my job), and the man was still there. He was no longer fishing, but rather just enjoying the scene. For me, his enjoying the scene was part of the scene.


For this casual shot, I liked the way the sign contrasted with the relaxing pasture on the other side of the barbed wire. Where I was, there was a public park and hiking trail. A few steps further down the trail, there was a curious llama, but he was in too much shadow to fire off a good shot without stepping closer and spooking him.

Taking random photos is one way I like to beat stress (besides bicycling, jogging or taking a nap). You don't need a fancy camera or any plan to do it. Just go.

No comments: