Monday, July 20, 2009

What makes a city special


We live not too far from one of the most affluent suburbs in the country. Big-name retailers are represented there, the homes are fantastically (and a little obnoxiously) large and fancy. Many of the vehicles coursing the streets are gilded and showy and cost nearly twice what the average home in my city is valued. There's nothing wrong with high-dollar living, although I wonder how much soul there can be behind the monotony of gleaming sameness. Nothing is allowed to become time-worn or show a little character. Fitting in is something celebrated rather than being lamented.

On the flipside, the town I live in has gone a little too far in the opposite direction and is beginning to show signs of decay. Surrounded by the behemoth that is Fort Worth, and smaller suburbs that had keener eyes on the future when it came to development and attracting business, my city was left behind. But like anyplace, it has things that make it unique and special. Generally, the people are humble and hard-working. They don't always have much to show for it, and that's OK. We don't plan to live here forever, or even that much longer. There are things we detest about the place, sure. But it's still home. We'll take the good along with us when we move on.

In the meantime, I'm going to capture images of as much soul as I can find – when I'm not on a paid assignment, of course. Not sure that the collection will become anything more than a diversion, but I'm kind of excited about it. I'll probably share a few photos here and there. I've already got ideas of things I need to shoot before it's too late. Time is marching on!

No comments: