Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Celebrating parenthood






Being a parent can be one of the most difficult – and yet most rewarding – jobs we are ever given. Difficult because kids will be kids. Rewarding because it lets us help shape the next generation, can at the same time it's something that is so much fun if we stop and smell the roses once in a while!

This past Sunday, I had the chance to photograph a mother-son swimming party at a local recreation center. What a blast! Was a great chance for moms and their sons to just be themselves and have fun. What I enjoyed the most was seeing how so many of them interacted with each other. Obviously, there can be a special bond between mother and boy-child. A former neighbor of ours, a mother to two boys and a girl, told my wife once, "Little boys just love their mommas." And it's so true.

A bonus with being a daddy is that they'll want to hang out with me more after they are potty-trained. Me and my boys will go fishing, camping, stomping around the woods and otherwise declaring our manhood. I have to set the example of loving and respecting the most important woman in their life (and mine): their mother. Then they'll get to a point where I'm no longer cool. But they'll still love their momma!

The above photos are just a few from the swim party. For those with pools or access to a similar facility (or a lake), let me say such locations make a fantastic portrait site. The lighting is a little tricky (and I wish I had a circular polarizer to cut some of the in-water reflections), but when the shots were good they rocked. Give me a call if you want to hang with your family poolside and have a pro document the waterbound fun!

No comments: