Tuesday, July 21, 2009

An updated vehicle for adventurous nerds


Stopped by my local Subaru dealer a few weeks back to see if they had a 2010 Outback in stock. There was one (pictured at top), but as it was Sunday I didn't have to fight off salespeople. It's definitely a change from the previous generation (my 2005 version pictured here also). The thing is beefier on the outside and more refined on the inside. I walked away from it perfectly satisfied and happy with the one I already own. The more truck-like cues might convince owners of gas-guzzling SUVs to convert to a car that still looks tougher than the average family sedan.

For the record, it's a wagon (and even Subaru calls it this). The Outback isn't a crossover, SUV or some other made-up designation. It has more ground clearance than regular sedans, full-time all-wheel drive and a more heavily constructed suspension. I bought one for the flexibility of the space (wagon shape vs. car with trunk), lower roofline so that I could more easily toss up my bicycle or kayak and just the fact because I thought it was cool. My Outback replaced a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 ... a solid truck but one I don't miss much. Yeah, I'm a nerd. But I'm an adventurous nerd!

No comments: