Thursday, May 21, 2009

My arsenal


I've tried to pare down my camera equipment, but there are still a few lenses and accessories I'd love to have (list is below for those wanting to get my birthday shopping out of the way). For every job I've encountered, though, what's pictured has been more than adequate.

What I use most often
1. Two digital SLR camera bodies
2. Wide-angle lens: 17-40 f/4
3. Longer telephoto: 70-200 f/2.8
4. Low-light telephoto: 85 f/1.8
5. Detail shots: 100 f/2.8 macro
6. Two flash units (580 EX II and 420 EX)

Not pictured:
1. Camera bag (important for toting around everything, including a laptop)
2. Tripod (for group shots to lock in composition; add stability to slow-shutter shots)
3. Monopod (for portable stabilization)
4. Reflectors (these are collapsing panels to block or throw extra light where needed)
5. Reflector stand (usually used indoors, not often on location)

Now, before I go any further, let me emphasize that photographic equipment are the tools of the trade. Nice equipment, however, is no substitute for experience and study, as well as trial and error in the field. Photographers take photos using cameras. The most important equipment are astute eyes, anticipating where you need to be and when and that big spongy thing between your ears! My grandmother was an excellent photographer, and her entire kit included one 35 mm Olympus OM-1, a 50 f/1.4 lens, a 135 f/3.5 lens and a small accessory flash unit. You don't need much, but sometimes more can make things easier or extend your abilities.

What I'd like and why:
1. Circular polarizer, 77 mm (to cut glare on shiny objects, including chrome and water)
2. Canon 35 f/1.4 L lens (just because it's awesome, and for wedding use)
3. Canon 24-105 f/4 IS L lens (a great walkaround focal range and stunning lens)
4. Canon 24 mm tilt-shift lens (I'll get one if I ever get into architectural photography)
5. Canon 300 f/4 IS (for sports and wildlife, preferably with Canon 1.4x teleconverter)
6. A smaller camera bag for one camera, one or two lenses and a flash unit, when Gigantor is too big)
7. Another camera body, preferably something weather- and dust-sealed (why not?)
8. Portable lighting equipment, probably a softbox or two with stands for my flash (when what I've got isn't enough)
9. Ring-light flash (for macro work and shadowless portraits)
10. Adapter to use my grandmother's Olympus OM-mount lenses on my Canon EOS digital SLRs (the OM Zuiko lenses are fantastic)

Things I might get rid of in the meantime:
1. One of my camera bodies
2. Canon 50 f/1.8 that no longer autofocuses (it does, however, bounce)
3. Canon 100-300 f/3.5-4.5 (great for daytime sports, I just haven't used it)
4. A few odds and ends

I use Canon cameras because I have always liked the ergonomics and find them easy to use, as well as the fact that the lens collection is terrific. If you're looking for a new digital SLR, there are great offerings from Nikon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus. A benefit of going with Canon or Nikon is that they hold the lion's share of the market and as such there are tons of lenses and accessories designed just for them. If you are leaning toward Canon, let me know and I'll tell you more about the one I might be willing to sell!

No comments: