Thursday, October 30, 2008

This place is a zoo!


Today I helped chaperone my son's kindergarten class during a field trip to the Fort Worth Zoo. It was a blast, but I'm blasted! My assignment, other than taking photos to document the trip (mostly of the kids, including mine above), I was also in charge of three boys (one being my son). Nobody said there would be so much running involved!


This jaguar doesn't look anything like the ones parked at the mall!


One of the gorillas posed for photos, but then he demanded loose change and Cheetos.


The zebra was more interested in a lunch of lawn than onlookers.


The lion cubs seemed to be among the favorite exhibits (besides the penguins and white tiger).


I also got a few shots of the cubs with their mama, but she looked pretty tired. She asked that I not post photos of her on the Internet because she figured the folks at TMZ would start hassling her. The price of fame these days!

If you get a chance, a trip to the FW Zoo is definitely worth it, especially now that the weather isn't as hot. Wear comfortable shoes, take a bottle of water or two per person (it's available from vending machines but – ca-ching! – it's pricey). If you want to get good photos of the wildlife, I recommend a telephoto lens in the neighborhood of 200 to 300 mm, because many of the exhibits are far away. If you are more concerned with shots of any pint-sized wildlife you take with you, as I was, a regular or wide-angle lens would work just fine, too.

No comments: