Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A job well done


Working for a public entity can be difficult. Complaints from the public, shrinking budgets and rising costs, thankless days and stress ... like any other job, in some ways exponentially. The city I contract for has an annual awards ceremony that honors longevity and adhering to the organization's core values (excellence, integrity, service, creativity and communication). An overall Employee of the Year is also named, voted on by fellow city employees. The gentleman in the blue jacket is the overall honoree for 2009 (awarded in January 2010). He was humbled and surprised – but no one else was. He was simply doing what he thought was his job, and others noticed he was going above and beyond.

I've photographed two of the awards ceremonies, and all the winners are so surprised and humbled by being recognized.

It's gratifying to work with people like that. Not-for-profit entities are tough; I know that and am not even on staff. I've interviewed for three jobs with public entities in the past year. Two of the three jobs were closed or delayed after the interview process because funding wasn't there. So why do I keep trying to land such a job? It comes down to service: it's what I want to do.

If I'm unable to find a full-time public service job, though, I will continue to use my talents to serve others through photography. There are competitors who are cheaper, but I can use a heart for service to go above and beyond, to connect, to provide more than is expected. Still working on that, of course, and it hasn't all been smooth sailing. Being a freelance photographer is a hard road when the economy is good!

But I am blessed when I can be a blessing to others. What can be better than that?

No comments: