Thursday, August 14, 2008

100 reasons to get married in August


I had the pleasure of assisting a Houston-area photographer as she covered a wedding for a friend a few weeks ago in Denton. There were three professional photographers there, and it was a good thing. While the wedding wasn't huge, even a medium-sized event has several things happening at once. That's why when I photograph a wedding, I have at least one other photographer with me to capture what I cannot be present to capture.

Anyhow, the couple was very cute together. I took the above image after they had eaten the cake, and I have one a split minute before of the groom wiping cake off the bride's face. They didn't do the cut-and-smash, which I always think is a tacky thing to do. It's also rare. Among the recent weddings I've shot, it's more a matter of the couple making "You'd better not" faces at each other, grinning, then gingerly feeding cake to each other. That's love, people.

One of my pre-ceremony duties was hanging out with the guys. I had the chance to ask the groom whose idea it was to have an Aug. 2 wedding. He said it was a matter of timing, and they wanted to get married as soon as they could. He is a teacher and coach, she just completed graduate school. This weekend was the only one they could squeeze in the ceremony before he had to get back to work.



For anyone keeping score, or if you yourself were in north Texas that weekend, you know that the temperature was hovering between 107 and 109 degrees that afternoon. That's the bride with her new husband and the two groomsmen, sipping out of a water bottle (we made sure she had lots of water, but I didn't drink enough). It was extremely hot. Some say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." I say once it gets over 100, it doesn't really matter.

But the beauty of the ceremony, the awesome couple and their wonderful families more than made up for the discomfort.

For the record, I got married in April.

No comments: